Walgreens Company Corporate Profile
2019 Annual Revenue
2019 Gross Profit
2019 Annual Net Income
2019 Fiscal Yr. Revenue Growth
2019 Number of U.S. Stores
S&P Rated: Investment Grade BBB (Long-Term)
Walgreens (NASDAQ: WBA) is the largest drug retailer in America. Walgreens employs approximately 248,000 people and operates 8,678 stores throughout the 50 states; Washington DC; Puerto Rico; and Guam. Walgreens’ products include over-the-counter medicine and consumer products, pharmacy services, and photo services. Walgreens has expanded through a series of strategic acquisitions. In March 2011, Walgreens acquired Drugstore.com and Beauty.com. Two years later, Beauty. com was named by Internet Retailer Magazine in its Top 100 online retail sites list. In July 2012, Walgreens paid $6.7 billion for a 45% stake in Alliance Boots and acquired a drug store chain that included USA Drug, Super D Drug, May’s Drug, Med-X, and Drug Warehouse. In 2014 Walgreens purchased the remaining 55% stake in Switzerland-based Alliance Boots that it did not already own. A new holding company was created that now trades as WBA in lieu of the previous WAG ticker. Walgreens also maintains a commercial book of pharmacy business through multiyear agreements with Express Scripts, Caremark, and other commercial payers. Walgreens was included in Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies list for the 20th consecutive year and was ranked 37th overall in revenue on the Fortune 500 list of largest U.S.-based companies.